Welcome on Saxloops, the saxophone and iOS based music blog!
You want to make live music on your iPhone or iPad? You like Ableton Live on desktop but don’t know how to jam on your idevice the same way?
Watch this first saxloops tutorial and discover how to use iOS apps TouchOSC, AUM, Audiobus/Midiflow and various audio units to improvise music like you do on Live’s session view.
Here are the presets I made and used in this video tutorial
Here are iTunes links to the apps:
You will also need TouchOSC editor to load my preset on your iDevice with a pc/mac.
Here are some additional instructions:
- Load Audiobus preset and open all preset apps from Midiflow’s 3 apps to AUM.
- Load AUM preset
- Load touchOSC (you will have preliminary use pc/mac touchOSC editor app to load preset on idevice via wifi).
- Set latency in Audiobus to 256 buffers minimum, increase if need, works perfectly here at this rate.
- Check midi connections in AUM in midi routing page . « AUM Destination » and « MF Adapter Out 1 » need to be routed to « MIDI Control » (should be made automatically at Audiobus preset load):
- In touchOSC « Coremidi » menu setup page, set ON « Enabled », Midiflow Inputs and Outputs and AUM output:
- -Check that Midiflow tools are well loaded with those settings:
- Load loops of similar tempo in AUM players, set AUM’s tempo at same tempo.
- Tap AUM’s « play » transport button via AUM or touchOSC transport page.
- Go to touchOSC mixer/trigger page and test faders/mutes/scenes.
There are 6 groups of 4 sample players each and two bonus players. Refer to AUM’s bookmarks to get some orientation lol!!
When you quit session, clear Audiobus and swipe all apps. It’s important that all apps have been opened at least one time at beginning for proper exit and next time proper preset load.
Once configured it should works flawlessly, you really just need to load loops in players.
Find also this TouchOSC template MAP
AUM’s bookmarks screenshot. Loop A to F are sample players groups, Loop G to H are additional single sample players channels (not affected by scenes triggering)
AUM Loop A group with its 4 samples players channels (loop A1 to A4). Each of 6 groups A to F is made that way
AUM’s « bonus » single sample players G to H channels
Have nice iOS music creativity!